Monday 12 April 2004

Australian Gospel Music Festival

Over the Easter weekend I camped out in Queens Park, Toowoomba, for the Australian Gospel Music Festival, and had an excellent time. Besides seeking out ska, rock and a little pop (not too much) I managed to take in a set from Christian metal band Fearscape. It's extremely bizarre to see a band talk about Jesus in between songs that sound like that. Still, they do good work, and fill a niche in the Christian music scene for anyone who prefers their music heavy. Really heavy.

I caught Gerald, as I always do, and Crying Out Loud and Sounds Like Chicken immediately afterwards. I saw Rookie twice, and I'm now officially a fan. Rebecca St James on Saturday was excellent, as were The Lads and eLi. I saw a set by Claire Hazzard, too, which was very good. I saw bits of other bands and probably some other full sets, too, but I've rambled on quite enough.

I met many interesting people who all liked my hat, and saw the kind of fashion sense that only comes out at festivals and raves. It's great to see people so free to express themselves, and I love to do that myself, too. I just wish it was a little more acceptable day-to-day. I left on Sunday night after eLi, which meant I missed Propane, the last band to play the festival this year. I'll get a report from someone, I'm sure.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - There are two things that would make the festival complete: soap and hot showers with a little privacy.
PPS - I didn't wash for the whole weekend, and I'm sure I started getting sick.

No comments: