Thursday 24 June 2004

All I'm Saying Is...

It's a strange mentality I've observed now and then: the idea that, when a misunderstanding is occurring, each party needs to keep talking over the other to make sure their point of view is being communicated. Of course, all it creates is the impression that the other party is not listening, thus is not getting the message, and thus needs to be talked at more or louder.

I think it stems from a desire not just to express yourself, but to be heard. Nobody wants to feel like their opinion is worthless, and unless you have a large audience hanging on your every word, it could feel a bit empty.

Two ears. One mouth. Shut up and listen once in a while. ;)

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't think I usually sound this disagreeable.
PPS - I am prepared to listen to your feedback calmly and quietly.

No comments: