Thursday 19 August 2004

Into the Spring of things

We humans like to think we are essentially immune to the hormonal effects of the seasonal cycle, but I think we are not. I have noticed repeatedly over the past few years that Spring holds one of the more powerful effect boosters. In Spring we see the most rabbit-like coupling - I even used to refer to it as "mating season" until a few odd looks made me reconsider. The point is this: Spring is coming soon in the Southern Hemisphere. Our hormones are warming up to shut down our higher brain functions for about three months.

Usually it's fun to watch and sometimes to experience, too. The intellectual consequences of our actions are all postponed until December and the emotional consequences are tripled. If you're on the plus side, this is a good thing, and allows you to partake in all those silly-looking activities like double-straw milkshakes and serenade picnics. If you're on the minus side, it can really bring out the rage to see yet another pair of hands clasped together as two people float along the street, blissfully unaware of their surroundings.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I still have two weeks to sharpen my axe.
PPS - Spring is something I love and hate at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding nasty, it appears you have entirely too much time on your hands.
I Find interpersonal interaction with fellow humans helps ; )
- Amos