Thursday 5 August 2004

Unskilled and Unaware

Yesterday I read (skimmed) a research paper called Unskilled and Unaware of It, and it's been playing on my mind ever since. The basic point is this: you need certain skills to recognise those same skills, either in others or yourself. Otherwise, you are likely to consider yourself to be far above your actual level of skill. Ignorance, rather than wisdom, is more often the cause of confidence.

I have, naturally enough, been trying to figure out the skills in which I might be deficient, even if I believe I am adequately competent. I have come to the conclusion that I am magnificent in every way, which was a relief. ;)

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have known people who have below-average senses of humour.
PPS - Those that try to bring the funny are invariably unaware of their lack of skill.

No comments: