Monday 20 September 2004

Maybe you could write him a nasty note?

I don't mean to slip into a blog cliche, but I'm writing about a dream I had last night. I believe it was inspired by recent discussions of Doom 3, a game I have yet to witness or play. Anyway, I arrived in a dark jungle-like corridor that looked like a tasteful country club pergoda might look if you let it go for a few years and turned out all the lights. For a minute or two I watched one guy dispatch several tigers by shooting them in the head with an energy pistol of some kind. It burned huge holes in their heads about the diameter of a compact disc, and distressed me just a bit, being a cat owner.

After the tiger-slaughter was done, I talked to some official guy who was standing there and kindly inquired about becoming armed against the rabid tigers myself. He politely replied that I was welcome to whatever weapons I could find lying around, and even went so far as to call HQ for the helpful tip that somewhere around here might be another energy pistol. The best I could find was a ball-point pen. So naturally I stuck close to the guy with the gun and another guy who was only armed with a pen. We cautiously crept through the disused enclosure being wary of tigers dropping on us from the canopy overhead. As we crept along I was trying to determine the best way one might attack a tiger with a pen. Is there some vulnerable spot of a tiger's skull or brain that I'd learned about watching the Discovery Channel some time? I couldn't think of any.

That's about where the dream ends, really. More creeping, the occasional suggestive rustling on the other side of bushes, but mostly just trying not to die in a jungle while armed with a pen.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The pen may be mightier, but only when you're far from the action.
PPS - And I'm sure that saying is not literal anyway.

No comments: