Thursday 16 September 2004

The sound of silence

For the third time ever I tried sleeping with my PC on, to encode an episode of Australian Idol for a friend. It didn't work (again) but that's not the point. The point is that my new quiet fans have reduced the noise from the previous "jet engine on steroids" level down to "purring tiger", and I plan to further quiet the thing to "sleeping kitten" level. Everything still runs at the same temperature, and I woke up only when my alarm went off, to find out that TechnoFish had failed yet again at his task of encoding that TV ep. I guess you can't have everything.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I call my PC "TechnoFish" 'coz it looks like an aquarium filled with PCBs.
PPS - The blue light helps the imagery, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm moderately disturbed that you named your pc....

then again, I spose I shouldn't be, after all I call mine Da Beast. a namesake derived from its ability to play any game at stupidly high graphic levels when it first came out. regrettably, like all pc's, it very quickly became Da Kitten when it comes to power performance.

John said...

True. We have an old PII that runs at 450MHz that we originally called "Ubermonster" because it was such a super PC. It hardly even gets turned on now.
And PC naming is a hang-on from my assistant sysadmin days. When you have more than one PC, it's just impossible to keep calling them "the computer".

Mokalus of Borg