Friday 25 February 2005

House of Flying Daggers

I caught House of Flying Daggers the other night after rave review recommendations from co-workers. Overall, I was a bit less impressed with it than I was with Hero. Where Hero was mostly about visuals, Daggers seemed to be mostly about sound, which was different and interesting. What let it down was the relatively weak plot. If you're still wowed by slow motion graphical effects, see it. Otherwise, you might as well wait and see if it comes to television.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Your home sound system might not do it justice, though.
PPS - I know mine wouldn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the House of Flying Daggers. I got some freebie tickets, and I'm glad I used them as I would have felt rather jilted had I paid for it.

Completely no empathy for the characters at all. Rather ironic when you hear the director talk about how he wanted to focus on the characters, and the audiences emotions towards them after hero was accused of being too focussed on visual to the detriment of the characters, and then you watch Flying Daggers, and go what the?!?Miv

John said...

The visuals in Hero were good. If he wanted to do better, he should have worked in other things alongside the visuals.

Another thing about Daggers is that I was left with an impression that the fight scenes were few and far between, though that's probably not the case. I got interested at the point of the jail break, and I was with it up until about halfway, then it all sort of fell in a heap.

Mokalus of Borg