Tuesday 15 March 2005

Games That Have Taken Over My Life

Via Apropos of Something I present the games that have become my breath during my short stay on your planet:

Space Quest: Naturally. It was in space, and that's pretty much enough to get any young'un hooked. Lasers, aliens, spaceships, a janitor: what's not to like?

Tetris: I bought a GameBoy once. I still have it. I own six cartridges for it. The only one I plugged in more than twice was Tetris, and I'm still playing.

XCOM: The first and second games in this series occupied my entire mind for a very long time. I mapped out entire levels. I developed the Ultimate Base Layout. I cracked the savegame format and wrote programs to resurrect my dead soldiers, reveal the entire mission map, rebuild bases at will and re-equip soldiers mid-mission. 'Nuff said.

City of Heroes: I am a superhero at last. Again, I am still playing.

Goldeneye: The first-person shooter for the N64, and I rocked so hard the room would tremble with my awesomeness. At least, I thought so.

Nebulus: A relatively obscure platformer for the Commodore 64, and I never owned one. I played this game at a "friend's" house after school, and I sucked, but I loved that little green bug-eyed guy.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Honorable mention to The Sims.
PPS - And possibly to Super Mario 64.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that SQ made a big impact, but what about that first frustrating Police Quest? Or even the ever inspiring Wolfenstein?

I've gone all nostalgic now!

John said...

For anyone who gets nostalgic for the Good Old Games, maybe Classic Gaming can keep you occupied for a while.

It's true that Wolfenstein made a huge impact in the industry. After all, it defined a new genre, and we're still living with the consequences. However, I'm not sure I classify it as one that occupied my every waking moment. At least, that's my excuse for leaving it out, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Mokalus of Borg