Wednesday 27 April 2005

Freaking out

Being an impressionable young man who is slightly disconnected from reality can have serious consequences sometimes. Satire and fantasy are particularly dangerous. The Zombie Survival Guide starts its chapters with "genuine" accounts of zombie incidents, presented in a frank, straightforward, no-nonsense fashion. Knowing that the rest of the book was humour-oriented still left me in doubt about these stories. Were they genuine events that had been misinterpreted in some way? Clever hoaxes? Individual hallucinations? I couldn't be sure. What finally grabbed me was a mention of the "Lawson Film", an allegedly-genuine silent home movie of a zombie attack and fruitless escape attempt. I had to search for this artifact on the internet immediately, just to know one way or the other. I was extremely relieved to discover that all the pre-chapter stories in TZSG were entirely fictional.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Now I can sleep again.
PPS - But the door is staying braced.

No comments: