Monday 11 April 2005

The Great Nerd Drive of '05

Supanova. There are three kinds of people who stink: those who are covered in something smelly, those whose sweat naturally stinks, and those who smell bad because they simply do not wash. This third type is the kind you will meet at a pop culture convention. I carried deodorant and was sorely tempted to use it on more than one occasion, if only to mask the smell of these other people. Fortunately, not everyone was part of the mass of the unwashed - some were costumed instead.

The best reason to go to a convention is if you are a comic book or figurine collector. I am neither, so most of my time was spent wandering around pretending to be interested in such things. I did catch Ray Park talking about Star Wars and teaching some people to spin lightsabres, at least in theory. I also saw the first three episodes of Full Metal Alchemist, and I think I could get into anime, as long as it's about good stories. I'd definitely be interested in a Fullmetal Alchemist MMORPG.

It's good every now and then to remind yourself that there are people who are sadder than you. Seeing fourty-five-year-old men dressed as Spiderman, The Phantom and Batman really encouraged me that I am normal. The fact that I had no interest in the trading card games and could not identify most of the merchandise for sale lifted my spirits. I am, relatively speaking, grounded in reality and have normal interests.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm bringing nose plugs for next year.
PPS - And possibly a Jedi robe.

No comments: