Wednesday 13 July 2005

Charming

Making conversation this morning, I asked Jessica:
"Why do you think people hang dreamcatchers from their rear-view mirrors? Do they plan on doing much sleeping at the wheel?"
To which she replied:
"People hang fuzzy dice from their mirrors, too."
"But a dreamcatcher is a charm with a specific purpose."
"Dice have a purpose."
"Not the fuzzy ones."
There we kind of dropped the subject, but I kept wondering what my point was in the first place. If the comparison between fuzzy dice and dreamcatchers is valid, why do I find the first just tacky and the second actually idiotic? The best reason I can come up with is that I don't think these people know what a dreamcatcher is at all. (Actually, I'm probably about as far from the true understanding as they are from mine).

Mokalus of Borg

PS - So the point is that I think I started on a proto-rant without having a clearly articulated argument to make.
PPS - I should have planned ahead.

3 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I actually think that she took the wrong direction with your conversation - she totally hi-jacked it! You were obviously intending to begin an (at least quasi-) humorous conversation about people falling asleep at the wheel, and she just took it in a totally different direction. Maybe if she had said that perhaps people with fuzzy dice on their rear-view mirrors were planning on playing, I don't know, monopoly while driving, and is that not just as bad as sleeping - then maybe it would have been okay.

I think it was a perfectly legitimate topic of conversation and she hi-jacked it.

I think you're charming. Sometimes.

P.S. Obviously you now need to hunt her down on the internet and find out if she has a blog and if she talks about you and the conversations that you have on the bus.
P.P.S. It's not fair that I'm your only victim of internet stalking. I'm quite willing to share you with the world. Well, at least attractive female members of it.

John said...

I'd be almost positive she has no blog of her own. Doesn't seem like her style.

Erin Marie said...

Does having a blog seem like my style? Would you have thought I'd be the type of person to have a blog, before you found out I had one?