Sunday 17 July 2005

The Sunday Mok - Birthday Week

Last Sunday was the conclusion of my 26th year on your planet. The day itself was an ordinary Sunday: two church services and some sleep. I got to be in a skit in the evening service, playing the "body" half of a "body/brain duo" - action and emotion contrasted with thinking and logic. It was fun.
I spent all of Monday at work on A+, the performance appraisals database in use by our HR manager. It has fairly recently had an import of a few thousand employee records, which made it much harder to use, so I had to set up some sensible defaults for all the selection lists.
By Tuesday I was finished on A+ and started back on Homer, the safety management software. Just bug-hunting, really. I also taught my final karate class in this month-long stint as a substitute instructor.
On Wednesday I automated the tests we ran on Homer last week. Now I can complete in ten seconds by myself what took three people an hour and a half last Thursday. Dinner with the FISH group, and a round of Articulate, where the geeks had to split up onto different teams. We have access to a shared language incomprehensible to the rest, see?
Thursday I started writing documentation and online help for Homer. This is definitely not my favourite thing. It's under-stimulating work, but I know it's got to be done. Had lunch with Brant, Adrian and Brad at Jackpot Noodles, which was cool.
More online help writing on Friday, then youth group in the evening where we planned upcoming fundraising events and played dodgeball. Afterwards I dropped in to Julie & Rory's for Julie's birthday and stayed until about 01:00.
On Saturday, I went shopping, mostly for Erin's present, but I also got a new shirt, a couple of DVDs and a board game called ZOMBIES!!!. The exclamation marks are part of the name, not part of my excitement, though that is considerable. Now all I need are some friends to play it with. Erin's party in the evening where, unfortunately, many people could only stay a little while.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - As far as I know right now, everyone's birthday is in July.
PPS - As near as I can figure, I think that makes us all Hallowe'en conceptions.

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Wasn't it actually the conclusion of your 25th year? Or were you lying to me about turning 26. Lies make the baby Jesus cry you know.

(See you tonight!)

John said...

Erin fails maths.

I am born on zero-day. After one year, I had my first birthday. At the conclusion of my 26th year, I had my 26th birthday.

Here ends the lesson.

Erin Marie said...

Maths was ALWAYS my worst subject. Always. (By worst, I mean I got a B ...)

I hated it. But then, I've always hated anything I had to put a little effort into. It's tough being a genius.

John said...

Wanna know my worst subject in grade 12? Drama. Betcha didn't see that coming. Both I and my teacher blamed the written component.

Erin Marie said...

Music was my second worst subject - would you believe it? It's because the standards for the practical were impossibly high - especially when you have to perform with people who can't even read music.

It just goes to show that grades don't really matter, it's where your passion and talent lie.