Friday 15 July 2005

Why I can't cut my hair

It's not even as if I like having long hair. It's a pain to take care of, and usually I wake up in the morning and recoil in horror from the beast in the mirror. I wonder if I should cut my hair off. Then I remember the main reason I keep my hair long: people sometimes call me by the name of a friend, "Murrae".

It's an accident. I'll grant that Murrae and I are similar personalities. At times, we even look very slightly alike - except for the glasses, height, eye colour, hair colour, hair length and beard. These last two are what I have control over, so I keep them different to Murrae as much as I can. As long as people keep accidentally calling me Murrae, I keep my hair long and my face relatively clean-shaven. It's not a choice. It's a necessity.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Only a few people claim to like my hair long.
PPS - I am often not one of them.

3 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I'm sure it hasn't got anything to do with being similar, you and Murrae. It's just one of those things that happen when you hang around in a group. Do you know how many times I've gone to call Stu Scott? And people call me Michelle and Michelle Erin all the time. Because she and I are SO similar...

You can cut your hair. If you believe you can.

John said...

I get that it's probably nothing, but it plays directly into one of my hang-ups: I think I'm boring. When someone calls me the wrong name, it seems like I've made so little impact on their world that I'm just part of the (boring) background noise of everyday life, unworthy of attention.

I'm not fishing here, just stating the results of some self-analysis.

Erin Marie said...

NEWSFLASH!

It's got nothing to do with boring. I can hardly be called boring and still I get called Michelle, or Laura at least once in a group situation.

And you're not boring. So there. I know who you are Bob. I mean, Fred. I mean, John...