Wednesday 18 January 2006

Kingdom of Loathing

Yesterday I started another low-tech online game that is feasible to play during my lunch hour at work: Kingdom of Loathing. Though I'd heard of it before, I had a different picture in my head, and a different idea of how it worked, and I'd decided it wasn't for me. This often happens to me. I originally thought a "web log" was just an automatically-posted browser history.

KoL is a role-playing game, but everything's just a little bit twisted and a bit tongue-in-cheek. My character is a "Pastamancer" who is currently wearing ravioli for a hat and attacking things with a pasta spoon.

I'm interested in this game primarily because it includes a crafting system (which is pretty standard in online RPGs, but not City of Heroes). Using "meat paste", you can fuse together items in your inventory to create other items. Somehow it's just a fascinating concept to me, and it may eventually lead me away from City of Heroes to World of Warcraft. But not today. Today I try to fuse my "magicalness in a can" with something, for no really good reason.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - KoL is a bit more involved than Urban Dead.
PPS - Also, it has pictures. Stick figures and the like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KoL is a very interesting game that is much more complicated than fusing Magicalness-in-a-Can's with other stuff, like a "Lifeless Meat doll". It's very sophisticated. No offense. The creators, Jick and Skullhead, keep coming with ideas. It's truly a great, OMG-how-do-I-get-past-this, game.

P.S. I hope you still aren't wearing a "Ravioli Hat" and equipping a "Pasta Spoon"

P.P.S My username in KoL is Vampirewolf3. Feel free to message me. Just don't spam.

John said...

What I've seen so far is indeed impressive, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I have, since this post, graduated from the ravioli hat and pasta spoon. I love it. It's the coolest low-tech online game I've played.