Thursday 4 May 2006

Moral Ambiguity

In City of Heroes, I've never been asked to choose between two actions that are both a bit good and a bit bad. There is no moral ambiguity in the game - it's all black and white. Every time I go off to fight someone (or something) I know that it's the right thing to do, even if it's breaking up a gang war that would seriously diminish the numbers of both gangs if allowed to continue.

In a way, I long for some uncertainty about what I'm asked to do. I'd settle for being asked to choose between two equally good, yet mutually exclusive, actions - like there being two people in trouble and time enough to save only one.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I guess there doesn't seem to be enough struggle in the hero life in Paragon City.
PPS - It would help keep me engaged in the story a bit more.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I guess I find enough moral ambiguity in life that I don't need it in my games as well. I long for the black and white decisions even if it is just in a game.

John said...

True enough - moral ambiguity is difficult to live with, and it's liberating to go out and know you're doing the right thing, saving lives and making the world a better place. Even if they're imaginary lives.

The problem is that, in City of Heroes, that story is starting to lack depth. Or maybe breadth. Some dimension, anyway. Every now and then, to keep it interesting, it becomes necessary to introduce more tension. The only tension now is whether my character is strong enough to finish the job.