Friday 16 June 2006

What happens if you dial the wrong number?

I shouldn't have to remember phone numbers. I shouldn't see phone numbers on caller ID - it should be names. Phone numbers shouldn't change when people move house or change mobile carriers. I should be able to access my voicemail box on my PC. It should not be possible for telemarketers to call me if I choose to deny calls by default and whitelist only my friends.

I should have a default deny power for my phone at my end, or at least a specific denial power. If someone calls me and my phone picks up the signal but then recognises the number as a "deny" number, then my phone should not ring.

So why is this not how things work? One point is low interoperability and the lack of applicable standards. Our communications are on a few different networks that don't communicate. But on my own end, I don't get to blacklist phone numbers myself because the phone company makes money from every connected call.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't think that problem is likely to be solved.
PPS - Too many interests are in conflict.

No comments: