Thursday 13 July 2006

The silent phone experiment

I have discovered that the ringer volume on my company-supplied landline telephone has a "silent" setting, so I immediately activated it. My theory is that some people will consider it broken and some will leave messages. My operating principle is that the telephone on my desk is for my convenience, not yours, and that it is most convenient for me to decide for myself when I should answer its call.

I have heard other people say that they don't use email because, if it was really important, someone would use the telephone. I just substituted technologies into that decision, saying that I refuse to use the phone, because if it was actually important, you'd come around to see me in person. This may prove that both statements are fallacies.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't listen to people in person, because if it was really important, they'd write me a letter.
PPS - I don't read smoke signals because all the really important messages arrive via jungle drums.

No comments: