Thursday 14 December 2006

Beam me up

The transporters in Star Trek were always (as far as I know) used to transport whole objects. I wondered whether it would be possible to focus the effect on just part of a body, and what applications that could lead to. This is what I came up with:

- Removing cancerous growths and other nasties from a body without any incisions or secondary trauma risk.
- Incisionless cesarean sections.
- Accurate and incisionless implantation of pacemakers, replacement heart valves, cochlear and retinal implants.
- Non-invasive stomach pumping.
- Liposuction.
- Hair removal.
- Arthritis-relieving artificial cartilage insertion.
- Organ transplants.
- Colonic irrigation.
- Kidney stone, gall stone and blood clot removal.
- Artery scrubbing.
- Ear wax removal.
- Blood transfusions and donations.
- Drug administration.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'll admit some are a bit frivolous.
PPS - Especially the ear wax and hair removal.

No comments: