Wednesday 31 January 2007

Standardised home entertainment connections

There should be one standard interface for home entertainment equipment. I buy a new dealie, plug it into my HEH (Home Entertainment Hub) and everything else that knows how to handle its inputs or outputs just works with it. For instance, my digital TV decoder takes broadcast signals and provides them to the hub as audio/visual streams. My TV knows how to interpret that, so it can display the shows or my VCR can record them. The VCR is also a video source for the TV. It shouldn't be too difficult to do, technologically. Generally we're only dealing with on-demand or time-based sources of audio and video. If you could set up your spectacular new hard drive video recorder with a single signal cable, wouldn't that be brilliant?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Device sharing might complicate things somewhat.
PPS - Especially if the device in question can't handle the demand.

No comments: