Friday 2 February 2007

The Mechanic's Dilemma

A car is dropped off before your shift for a standard service. At the end of the day, two men show up to pick up the car, and each claims that the other is an impostor. Each has identification proving that they are the owner of the car, each has a spare key that opens the car, and each one offers to pay for the service. Also, the classic Solomon gambit fails: when you offer to cut the car in half and give them half each, both men object and offer to give the car away.
How do you determine the true owner?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't have a particular answer in mind.
PPS - I'm just curious about everyone's problem solving approaches.

1 comment:

John said...

Since nobody else is playing, I guess I'll put in what I've come up with. Give the car to the one without the goatee. Everyone knows evil twins are the ones with goatees.