Monday 25 June 2007

Jonathan Coulton's music

I blogged a while ago about the music of Jonathan Coulton, specifically "Re: Your Brains". Since then I've purchased two albums (total cost 20USD) and I love more than half of it. They're not all hits, and some are, to my ear, just bad (Resolutions is nothing but a computer voice reading a list of generic New Year's resolutions) but the hits are brilliant. Deb and I both love "Code Monkey" as a kind of love song since I'm a programmer ("code monkey") myself. Most of the other music comes to mind at various times and sticks in my head for a while, and I don't mind.

The best part of all this is that Jonathan puts up all the music for free online (to download costs one dollar per track, or some tracks are free) so you don't even have to take my word for its quality before buying. You can just listen for yourself.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm disappointed that there's no music video for "Soft Rocked By Me".
PPS - But it wouldn't look like much.

2 comments:

Linda said...

"Code Monkey" has got big attention. On July 11, on G4 broadcasting, "Code Monkey" the animated series begins. It features of course the song you are refering to. Maybe I will remember to watch for you.
Linda

John said...

I see that. Jonathan has mentioned it on his blog, too, and I see a promotional page here, though no videos. It also contains a link to a website for "Gameavision" which may be further promotional material, but still contains no videos. Sigh. I guess you'll just have to tell me what it's like, Linda.