Monday 16 July 2007

Google "My Maps" not linkable by name

With the recent introduction of "My Maps" on Google Maps, I had kind of hoped that my calendar entry map links could work with location descriptions like "Dad & Beth's" or "Church". So far, that's not quite the case. I could make my maps public and search them with everyone else's, but that's not ideal (and probably still wouldn't help with "church").

What I'd like is for my map searches to prefer my named places over those of random strangers. As it is, my map searches scan the United States (not my country of residence) for matches to my searches, and that produces results that are just plain incorrect. I don't think this has gone unnoticed by the Google Maps developers, but a change is yet to surface.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Named searches do work directly from Google Maps.
PPS - Just not from anywhere else.

No comments: