Wednesday 5 December 2007

Polyphasic sleep

Recently I've become fascinated with the concept of polyphasic sleep. The idea is to sleep for 30 minutes every four hours instead of sleeping through the whole night. Leonardo da Vinci did it for a time, and Kramer tried it on Seinfeld too (without much success). The reasons I think it would work well for me are that I'm an introvert who likes a bit of down time, and if I was sleeping only 3 hours per day, I'd get plenty of that. I could catch up on all my reading and television pretty quickly, get some extra exercise, all kinds of things.

Apparently the adjustment period is pretty rough, though, and I wouldn't want to try it unless I'm on holidays. If I do give it a go, it will be just after Christmas so that I'm still away from work and all the parties are over and done with. Going back to work would be a bit tricky, since I'd need at least one good half-hour nap at lunchtime to stay functional. Still, as I said, this is currently fascinating to me.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If I try it, I'll write about it here.
PPS - Even if I fail.

No comments: