Monday 14 January 2008

Perspective vs control

According to David Allen, I am a micro-manager. That means I may be in control of some things, but I lack perspective on what requires my attention. For instance, I have an ever-growing list of news items to read "later" in Google Reader but I make bad decisions about what is going in there. I don't need to watch a video of a Super Mario level re-created with the Doom engine, or unusually musical armpit noises, but there they are waiting to take up my time. So I've recently started on a ruthless campaign to get some perspective into my reading stack, culling anything that I don't really need or want. The micro-management part of my brain gets upset as I do this, because that link to a book I'll never get to read might come in handy some day. However, I really do need to get this in perspective so that I'm in control of the right things at the right level, not just in control.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - There is always more to learn.
PPS - The linked video contains good info on personal organisation in general.

No comments: