Tuesday 5 February 2008

Highlights of the Linux conversion

I've got a couple of things to share about the conversion to Linux at work. I hope they're interesting to at least some people.
  1. My file synchronisation utility, Unison, needs to ignore file permissions on my flash drive to work properly.
  2. My virtual Windows copy has stopped working, so I'll need to take a new copy, this time of my current Windows setup.
  3. Printers are a bit more of a hassle to set up in Linux than in Windows. You can substitute just about any hardware for the word "printers" there, too.
  4. The big shared network drive at work won't connect properly. I just keep getting recursive directory listings. This should be fixed in the next Linux kernel version, I'm told.
On the plus side, my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles migrated over without any big troubles, and I've found acceptable substitutes for most of my favourite Windows-based tools already.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I could get to like Linux quite a lot.
PPS - Provided I don't use much exotic hardware.

No comments: