Monday 31 March 2008

Public transport smart cards

I've been doing some thinking about Brisbane's new public transport smart card system, the "go card". It's technologically spiffy and probably faster than the current 10-trip or driver-issued ticket system, and I'm sure it benefits those who have bus or train as alternatives to each other. I only have the bus, unfortunately.

Financially, I am slightly better off with a 10-trip ticket than a go card. The trips work out about the same per week except when there's a public holiday. Go card discounts only apply if you make six trips between each Sunday and Saturday, making a normal working week cost as much as 8 trips. A 10-trip ticket is sold for that same price. If there's a public holiday, the 10-trip ticket just remains valid over that time. The go card discount does not.

Furthermore, if my 10-trip ticket fails, I get free travel for the day. If my go card fails, I pay a flat fee of $3 for the bus trip. This is a necessary consequence of the go card system, but it is also a weakness. Allow me to demonstrate.

If I had four zones to travel to work five days per week, that makes ten trips per week. A Go Card would charge me a total of $32 for the week on buses. However, if I simply fail to "touch off" at the end of every trip, I am charged $3 per trip. Multiplied by 10 trips, that's only $30 per week. Four zones is where this saving overtakes the frequent user discount for buses. It's higher for trains because the no-touch charge there is $5. Still, if you're taking a single trip and the charge would be more than the $3/$5 no touch charge, doesn't it make sense to do that instead?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - And if I have an unregistered card they can't come to yell at me for doing that.
PPS - I don't know how many people would deliberately do this.

No comments: