Tuesday 29 April 2008

Pre-emptive insurance claims revisited

Some time ago I wrote about claiming on insurance for preventative measures like cutting down dangerous trees before they hurt people. The same could be done for medical insurance, but I have since thought of a good reason that insurance companies would not allow such pre-emptive claims.

The reason they might hesitate to pay up front for procedures that would save them money in the long term is that they don't know for sure that their clients will be with them for the long term. So even if paying for laser eye surgery now would save them thousands over the course of my life, I might choose to jump ship the next day, taking their expected savings with them. They would need a lock-in contract from me to guarantee my continued membership until the return on investment is met. Unfortunately for me, that means they don't have to fight to keep me after that, and can offer me terrible terms and fees for the period of that lock-in.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Maybe they wouldn't do that, though.
PPS - Maybe.

No comments: