Tuesday 1 July 2008

Saving time through programming

I love my tools and I love making new ones. My note-taking tool is steadily evolving into something more powerful as I consider new ways it could be used. I am currently using it for time tracking, general note-taking, a todo list and work diary keeping (which comes out more like a private live blog on disk). As a result of using it for project-based time keeping, I wrote another tool to generate timesheets, including uncounted time for the current day. It's come out even better than both previous tools I've used for that purpose. Neither of these programs are particularly large or impressive, but each one saves me many minutes a day.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Computers are good at taking over the mundane tasks of your day.
PPS - That's pretty much what they're for.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

But only if you know how to make them do your mundane tasks, and not everyone does.

Some days it feels like I'm working for the technology and not the other way around.

Maybe I should have done programming instead of law...

John said...

I guess that's true. Maybe there should be an easier way than full-on programming to automate mundane tasks. I don't think everyone should have to know how to program, but I do think it's a beneficial skill, like touch-typing.