Sunday 6 July 2008

The Sunday Mok - Sightseeing

This week was the sightseeing portion of the trip. On Wednesday we drove through the South Dakota Badlands, which is basically a lot of hills made of clay, and made me briefly consider the subtitle "Nice Butte" for this post. I don't think the Badlands actually count as buttes, though.

We also went through Custer State Park where we got up close to some bison, more commonly known as buffalo. That was pretty cool. Also on show were white-tailed deer, pronghorns and prairie dogs (very cute).

We actually saw Mount Rushmore on the 3rd, which it turns out is when their fireworks display is. As it also turns out, Jefferson's nose, rather than Lincoln's, is at a better angle for sparks. ;) I was shooting one second exposures from the hip during the show, mostly because I didn't want to focus on the photography and miss the experience. I think most of my photos were blurry as a result.



Other sites of interest included "Wall Drug", one of the most famous drug stores in the world (apparently) and a Cold War "Minuteman II" missile site, though it wasn't the actual silo.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I got a bit sick on the return journey.
PPS - We begin flying back to Australia on Monday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous of your bison experience i could not see one the entire time i was there hope your trip back is good and you get to see a little bit more of japan aren't the photos fun. lol
Bridgit

John said...

Yeah, it was really cool. I expect your trip was focused on slightly different goals than mine, though. As for seeing Japan on the way home, our stopover was even shorter that time and all of us were way too tired to do anything but sleep at the airport.