Wednesday 12 November 2008

Am I ready for the next black belt?

I have a black belt in karate - strictly speaking, it is a probationary black belt, standard issue after brown. The student must hold this "level zero" black belt for a minimum of one year before attempting level one, also known as "shodan".

So am I ready? Well, I've gained a little weight, lost a little strength and fitness and have only been attending about two thirds of even the local classes. Other students have gone for pre-evaluation recently, just to see if they're ready for the grading. It's a normal high-level class, not as intense as a grading. The instructors train like that every week. Our students lasted 30 minutes.

I don't have anything to lose by going to the evaluation, except perhaps dignity, so I will go. I just don't know that I'll be ready for grading at the end of the month.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If I go, I'll let you know.
PPS - At the very least, it should be amusing.

No comments: