Tuesday 9 December 2008

Tomboy for note-taking

I've started keeping some notes in a personal wiki program called Tomboy, with a few reservations.

First, while it runs cross-platform, Windows binaries are not distributed yet (at least not from the official site).

Second, the notes are stored in a database on the installed machine, and I want to take them with me everywhere.

Third, though Tomboy can synchronise notes to and from a "server" folder, the fact that I don't have (or want) a server online means that the synchronisation might be a bit more haphazard than it should be. When I merge files with my portable storage, my Tomboy notes may get mangled in the process, and I'd rather not have that.

Fourth and finally, Tomboy organises notes into Notebooks, rather than allowing free-form tagging. I would prefer a tagging approach.

All of that said, it's a neat program that does what it's designed for, even if that's not aligned perfectly with my needs. And it's still in development, so some of these issues might be ironed out yet.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have not yet tried merging edits from two machines.
PPS - I'm apprehensive about that.

No comments: