Wednesday 14 January 2009

You can't debate with a television

The television and movies (I'm thinking of documentaries) make people angrier than face-to-face conversation. Personally I think it's because you can't debate with your television, or at least not two ways. If you disagree with someone on TV, all you can really do is turn it off and walk away. When you disagree with someone who is actually in the room, you can speak up and engage in a conversation. The television makes it feel like that person is just speaking right over the top of you and ignoring you completely, which would make anyone mad when they have an alternative viewpoint to raise. It's possible that the same is true to an extent on the internet.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't talk back to my television.
PPS - Not out loud, anyway.

3 comments:

Kammorremae said...

I constantly talk back to the television, and my wife is constantly telling me to shut up.

John said...

But the television just ignores you completely. Isn't that frustrating?

Kammorremae said...

Not exactly. The frustration is generated by the fact that I was forced to open my mouth to correct the TV, not that it didn't care that I was right.