Thursday 19 February 2009

The limited utility of the mobile web

Since I have only a low-end mobile phone, there are only a few tasks I can imagine wanting mobile internet for. Occasionally, while out and about, I would use it to locate services, such as an ATM, a restaurant or cafe, in rapidly descending order of frequency. I may use it to look up movie show times at nearby cinemas. Finally, I may use it to read news from the web while commuting, though exorbitant data charges discourage me from doing so. I presume that is the goal of high charges.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - According to Jakob Nielsen, "Using a mobile makes you a disabled user".
PPS - That's using a mobile for the web, not in general.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually its not that expensive, and once you start using it you never want to go back, it comes out to be about 100 a month for $500 worth of phone calls, free sms, 700mb worth of downloads, and an iphone. the plus side with the iphone is that it can pick up wifi as well, so if you are near a free wifi point or know the password you can access it without using your 700mb download limit.

John said...

I'm sure with a better device and an included web download quota I'd use it more, but I stick with the free phones on my mobile plans and my current contract (two years, expiring this July) did not include any mobile web downloads, so I'd be paying the $2/MB rate, which is ridiculous.

Also, I'm currently paying $49 for a pair of mobile phones with plenty of monthly call credit, so $100 a month for me would be a bit of a tough sale.

I know this is where the world is going, and before long no phone plan will come without a web component, but despite being a technology fan, I'm also a lazy cheapskate, so I haven't taken the plunge just yet.