Monday 9 February 2009

Quickflix instant queue?

I wonder how long it will be before Quickflix in Australia has a similar feature to the "instant queue" of Netflix in the USA. This is a feature whereby movies are streamed directly over the internet to your desktop. Of course I expect them to come bundled in DRM, which means I can't watch them on my TV or iPod, only on my PC. This would be "requested" by the movie studios ("DRM or no content for you") and implemented by Quickflix as a CYA measure, even if it was not requested. I don't know the Netflix pricing model for this business, but I expect it would not be included in the monthly subscription either. If that is the case, then I might as well buy them from iTunes, even if those items are still under DRM.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I guess I'll have to wait and see on this one.
PPS - Unless someone from Quickflix comments here again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bigpond Movies has this feature, and if you are on Bigpond Broadband, the downloads are not part of your quota and apparently (cos I haven't tried it, just read about it) the download is really fast because it is on the same network

John said...

We used to be on Bigpond, but have since moved to iiNet. They have unmetered iTunes access, and some streaming TV, but no streaming movies, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mokalus,

Just caught your blog. Yes, please stay tuned for some announcements from Quickflix on streaming and download. We’re very across what Netflix is doing and see VOD/IPTV as an extension of the Quickflix service for our members. There should be some exciting news on this coming up. Meanwhile we have just delivered our 5 millionth DVD in Australia and it’s great to see our service so in demand.

We’re watching with interest Telstra’s tactics around broadband and the National Broadband Network initiative—if anyone from Telstra is reading this blog please feel free to shed some light for the rest of us!

Andrew
Quickflix Membership Manager

John said...

It is a natural extension of the service, to be sure. I have questions, but I will wait for official announcements before making any judgement.