Tuesday 17 March 2009

Scouting out a running route

I went running from our new home last weekend, looking for a good route I can run regularly. I started off down the road, past the park, around the back of the school, looking for a way back to the park. I didn't realise that the park and the school are separated by a creek with no bridges but the one I had already crossed. When I'd gone through a lot of back streets, through another park, through some bushland reserve and started down an industrial road, I'd taken 45 minutes and was no closer to my goal. It was also becoming clear that I had crossed a suburb boundary.

I turned around and headed back, looking briefly for a way through the school (during Saturday cricket games) back to the house. None was to be found, of course, because of the creek mentioned earlier. I finally arrived home some 90 minutes after I started, somewhat dehydrated and quite tired. I think I'll head in the other direction next time, and take my bike rather than try to scout on foot.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I didn't inspect the map well enough before I headed out.
PPS - Live and learn, I guess.

No comments: