Tuesday 12 May 2009

Ruined immersion in entertainment

Sometimes I wish I could go back to enjoying some simple entertainment pleasures as they are presented. Now and then, however, my brain does this higher-order recognition thing and brings up an idea like "interesting camera angle" or "the cat is a metaphor" and the immersion is ruined. It's quite frustrating.

When I watch Star Trek I often wonder how much easier the captain's job could be if someone would just design a proper user interface. There are endless little internal interruptions that break my suspension of disbelief (and the phrase "suspension of disbelief often throws me, too, but that's another story). I expect this is fairly common for people whose entertainment matches their expertise to some degree.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - My step-sister the doctor is known to complain about House.
PPS - And I frequently laugh when someone has "almost decrypted" a file on a computer.

No comments: