Thursday 4 June 2009

iTunes should rip DVDs for iPods

I need a program - something standard, easy and quick - that I can use to rip my DVDs to watch on an iPod. Technically, this is still illegal, but that's silly when CD ripping is fine, so let's not discuss that. What would really seal the deal is Apple getting behind the idea, allowing you to rip your DVDs for your iPod through iTunes, and never mind about region coding or encryption. Why would Apple do that? Because it provides an enormous value to iTunes/iPod customers, which translates into more hardware sales going their way. So far I can rip DVDs on Linux and transcode them to formats that should be iPod-friendly, but iTunes seems to reject every file I encode. It might be a resolution issue. I don't know.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I do still have a few configurations to try.
PPS - I guess I could always try Rockbox.

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I'll rip you.

John said...

In context, that's kind of creepy.

Beard said...

i think theres a program called iSquint... if i remember correctly that is. that will transfer pretty much any file type into an ipod playable format. HOWEVER, it does it in real time. so it takes about the length of the footage to convert it.
you can find a suitable program at www.versiontracker.com they usually have pretty much everything you can ever need. :)

Erin Marie said...

YOU'RE kind of creepy.

John said...

@Tim: Thanks for the pointer, but it seems iSquint is Mac-only, and I'm kind of looking for an end-to-end solution for either Windows or Linux.

@Erin: No, YOU are. :P