Tuesday 16 June 2009

Sim Space Colony and Zombie Dungeon

A few nights ago I dreamed of two computer games, neither one being especially innovative, but slightly interesting all the same. One was a zombie dungeon crawler, standard stuff except for the "scale" feature that meant shrinking down or growing larger as problems required. It reminded me of both New Super Mario, with the tiny and huge mushrooms, and Spore's Cell stage.

The other game was a "generational colonisation" game where a spaceship arrives on a barren planet and your job is to create a self-sustaining settlement. It seems a lot like SimCity, but with bubble cities on the Moon or Mars. The colonists would need to find resources to maintain the atmosphere and bubble, grow crops for food and hopefully eventually terraform the planet so that the bubble is no longer needed. They need to survive long enough to raise children, expand the colony and teach their descendants to survive and continue the work.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I know they're not that original, but I'd give them a go.
PPS - The second one is most compelling to me.

6 comments:

Miv said...

I would have thought that your second idea was closer to Civilisation rather than SimCity

John said...

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I was going to say it depends on the gameplay design, but it feels like it would work better controlling individual units rather than just managing the colony layout and priorities.

Erin Marie said...

I'd play the second one. Fo shiz my brudda from anudda mudda.

Miv said...

I can see it now! Galactic Colonisation with a gangsta rap flava...

DOMINIZZLE MY GALIZZLE FO' SHIZZLE AIGHT!

Pulling drive-bys in this universe's version of Imperial Star Destroyers would be priceless!

John said...

I can see the bling and the pimped-out spaceships, though this is turning into more of a "Gangsta[r] Wars" vision in my mind, culminating in a dance-fight between Luke and the Emperor. What have we created?

Erin Marie said...

Wika wika down!