Friday 17 July 2009

Disappointed by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Deb and I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on Wednesday evening, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I believe this is the first of these movies where I've read the book first, but I have a feeling I might have been let down otherwise. The whole thing is slow, dark and quiet, including the climactic ending. The mystery of the Half-Blood Prince is only mentioned in passing, and the battle at the end adds very little to the whole picture. We agree that it would have been redeemed by sticking closer to the ending of the book, where there is a larger-scale battle.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - From an actor's point of view, the performances were adequate.
PPS - Though I think young Tom Riddle fell a little flat.

2 comments:

Chris said...

The whole thing felt like 2.5 hours of kids making googly eyes at each other. I'm surprised they would leave out all the fighting at the end. This is the just like the end of the last movie where they cut out the one part of the book I couldn't wait to see on film.

I have to admit, though - something about the cinematography looked amazing. I just can't put my finger on what they were doing different.

John said...

Another thing about the "googly eyes": didn't Ron's encounter with the love potion involve a few more people, making it a slightly bigger deal in the book? Only Harry and Slughorn got involved in the movie, which seems like it would be easier to shrug off.