Tuesday 29 June 2010

Managing anticipation

It can be difficult to manage a level of anticipation and excitement until an event. If you focus too much on one event, your time perception slows to a crawl and you get exhausted. If you try to ignore it to maximise your enjoyment as a new experience, you risk not being excited enough when the time comes, dulling your enjoyment.

For instance, I'm anticipating Portal 2 next year, and I'm keen to find out what it feel like to play, I also know that if I build it up too much it's going to be disappointing. Nevertheless, the gameplay and environmental videos I've seen so far make it look very interesting and probably a lot more complicated and difficult than the first one.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I saw someone once who was let down by a new font.
PPS - Granted, he was a typeface nerd, but still. Disappointed by over-anticipation.

No comments: