Wednesday 7 July 2010

Apple vs freedom and how it works for you

The obvious advantage of Apple controlling everything you can and can't do with your phone, plus being the only manufacturer of hardware and software is that the idea of "system requirements" for apps can be reduced to a handset or OS version number in the worst possible scenario. In the Android space, different phones have different capabilities so it can be harder to determine if a particular app is going to run on your phone or not. At that point you get into the realm of real system requirements and possibly compatibility checkers, and by then most users will throw up their hands in confusion and go buy an iPhone.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Again I go on about the iPhone.
PPS - You know I'll end up with one eventually.

4 comments:

Erin Marie said...

You should. They're great.

That said, Ben has an iPhone (and loves it) but is flirting with the idea of an Android because of the versatility and not being locked into Apple... despite the fact that he is practically an Apple whore.

That said, I think he is just flirting with the idea of it, but when it comes to committing, he'll stay with his true love.

John said...

My first major problem holding me back from the switch is that any contract that gets me an iPhone will cost at least 2.5 times what I'm paying now, and will continue that way indefinitely. I'm just not prepared to pay that much a month for cool hardware, even an iPhone.

Charles said...

just get one....

our lord and savior Steven Jobs wills it.

http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

John said...

Now I picture a Church of Apple which would probably turn out like an amalgam of Scientology and a personality cult.