Monday 19 July 2010

GMail and too-subtle links

I use GMail all the time, and I'm quite happy with it, aside from a couple of things. First, when I need to send email, it always takes me a few seconds to find the Compose link. It somehow gets buried with the labels and folders links on the left. The same goes for the Contacts link - always a few seconds of searching before I land on it. And I'm not stupid, nor am I an infrequent GMail user, as I said before. So how does a website I use every day manage to confuse me enough that I keep losing functions on the interface?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - All I seem to remember is that they're on the left.
PPS - Having blogged about it, I'll probably have cured myself.

7 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I've been using Gmail for so long now I can't remember email being any other way ... apart from Outlook, obviously. But now that you mention it, it could be simpler.

John said...

Improvement is always an ongoing process. Outlook could use a little, too. I haven't seen the Office 2010 version, though. Maybe there are some updates.

Charles said...

i feel this way about facebook... very freaking time i want to post a photo it takes me a while to find the right link button... i feel dumb... but it is hard for some reason.

http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

John said...

Facebook has a lot of this. There are four or five different ways of accessing your friends list, the most obvious of which actually prompts you to add more friends, not look at what friends you've got. Adding a friend to an existing group should be possible when viewing that friend's page, but you have to go to the group first, then look for the friend.

But every time they try to fix some of these problems, half their users break out the torches and pitchforks to lynch them.

Charles said...

it's really becoming a pain in the scrotum with their software....

have you seen/heard they are making a movie about zuckerberg?

John said...

The only way that could be entertaining is if someone confuses him with Zoidberg and nobody notices until opening night.

Erin Marie said...

OMG - I'm pretty sure that would be the best movie ever.