Thursday 12 July 2012

Google Chrome app store

I was puzzled for a short while about the Chrome "app store" functionality. It's distinct from the Android Market (now the Google Play Store) and installs things directly in the browser that are not (necessarily) websites, but must be written basically the same. Now I realise where it has come from. Google has plans to make Chrome a thin operating system for desktops and notebooks, which means the Chrome Web Store is how those computers would get their software. But since the advent of tablets, Android seems to be their operating system of choice. What does that mean for the future of the Chrome store and Chrome apps? Is Chrome a better fit for proper desktop computers than Android?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If I had to choose a Chrome operating system or Android for my desktop, I'd probably go for Chrome.
PPS - But it would still be a painful restriction.

No comments: