Wednesday 3 October 2012

The end of City of Heroes

So City of Heroes is coming to an end. It was the first MMORPG that I played, and I have a lot of love for it. Some people will be able to shrug at this, uninstall and move on, and some others will weep at all the "wasted" effort that went into their now-defunct characters. I'm somewhere in between those two extremes. Character creation was a pretty big part of this game, which naturally led me to invest a lot of creativity in my characters. They are dressed and named as if I were bringing a story to life. Now that they are being corralled and euthanised, I feel bad for them. I took screenshots and some notes to preserve their stories.

But it's not just the characters. I will miss playing the game. I've tried World of Warcraft, and it just doesn't feel right. Not bad, just uncomfortably different, like someone else's clothes. City of Heroes, because it was my first, set my expectations for all other RPGs. Everything else feels funny, possibly because this particular fictional subgenre is not well represented in games. Most others, Western RPGs in particular, like to focus on Tolkienesque fantasy. That's never really been my thing. I'd rather be a superhero.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I took it with me on a recent business trip.
PPS - I played a quick solo mission to say goodbye.

No comments: