Friday 22 March 2013

The Pomodoro Technique

I saw "The Pomodoro Technique" listed along with some personal organisation methods as one that people like me (programmers) find helpful, so I checked it out. I figured it might be simpler and more applicable to my workflow than the complexity of full-on Getting Things Done. When I checked it out, however, it turned out to be more of a focus and estimation technique than a personal organisation methodology.

The idea, in case you're interested, is to estimate how long you will take to complete a task in terms of 25-minute "pomodoro timer" intervals, and to allow no interruptions or distractions during that time. As you go on using that technique, you'll get better at estimating how long tasks take. That's it. No help on prioritising which tasks to do first, nor on keeping track of what comes next. I imagine it is very useful for learning estimation and focus, but not for personal organisation.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I could stand to get better at focus and estimation.
PPS - I imagine most people could.

No comments: