Wednesday 5 June 2013

Nature and humour

One aspect of my sense of humour that I think a lot of people don't share is that I think it's funny when the simplest acts of nature screw up our best laid high-tech plans. Like when an endangered falcon nests on top of a mobile phone mast and the phone company is forbidden from fixing it by removing the bird. For some reason, I find that quite funny (not to the level of "hilarious", but funny). Or when our best engineers are outdone by everyday creatures, such as bumpy whale fins being far more efficient than our best airfoil designs. In light of those types of incidents, I think it's silly to keep thinking of ourselves as the Biggest, Brainiest Beasts, because it doesn't take much for nature to kick us down and laugh.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Then steal our lunch money.
PPS - Or something like that.

No comments: