Thursday 31 October 2013

The lost newspaper

On the train the other day, someone left a newspaper behind. I and several other people who live on the internet daily thought nothing of it. An older man, however, seemed agitated. "Someone's left their paper there! Is that yours? Who left their paper? It's not mine, I've got one at home..." And on and on for a while. Eventually he picked it up, folded it carefully and left it on the seat, presumably for someone else to find and make good use of.

My only explanation for the agitation, besides some mental problem, was that, to him, newspapers are the only place news comes from. If you don't read the paper, you don't know what's going on in the world. If someone left it behind, that must have been an accident. To me, newspapers are a relic, published too slowly to be ahead of the game. They're worthless, because everything important in the paper will have already crossed my web browser the day before.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Well, newspapers actually do have some relevance to me.
PPS - The small, free, local ones are a better place to find local news than anywhere else.

No comments: