Monday 21 April 2014

Facebook doesn't do news well

For me, at least lately, Facebook is a terrible way to get official news. It's buried under cat videos and Candy Crush invitations and I'll often skim right over special-interest news I would otherwise very much like to read. For companies looking to get the word out, Facebook is terrible in a different way. When you post something to your company Facebook page, it only goes out to 5% of your followers - people who have deliberately sought you out and linked their profile to your page because they want news from you. Apparently, if you pay Facebook a gatekeeper tax, they'll bump that number up to 10%. So, basically, Facebook is terrible as an official news channel.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm also not on Facebook every day, so I miss news that way, too.
PPS - And I don't always read my whole news feed when I'm there.

No comments: